The strategic leadership model is basically the study of the leadership style. It describes the ways of modernizing an organization by keeping employees busy into the work for achieving targets and goals. A variety of leadership techniques are used to influence the directions and vision of growth along with possible success of an organization. Management needs tools, techniques and skills for strategy formulation and its implementation.
Strategic Leadership Techniques
Here below are few but most commonly used strategic leadership model techniques. You must be aware of them all as a business student. There are mostly two types and styles of leaders found the researches, which are transactional leaders and transformational leaders. Let’s discuss both of them. Both of these techniques elaborates the strategic leadership techniques in better ways.
- Transactional Leaders
This strategic leadership model technique guide, encourage and motivate the employees and subordinates towards the direction of establishment of targets and goals through clarified required tasks. Transactional Leadership is created under the transformational leadership.
- Transformational Leaders:
The transformational leaders are the ones which offer personalized and logical with possession of charm.
- Transformational leadership is superior to that of transactional one due to some researches and evidences support the transformational process of leadership.
- Transformational leaders support their followers by encouraging work at an expected level and make them recognize their responsibilities, goal identification, increment of confidence to get the desirable performance and understanding of their rewards & needs are totally attached with the achievement of their goals and targets.
- Transformational leadership is not the surrogate or alternate of the transactional one, but is an enhanced one.
- The sense of inspiration, faith and respect, a feeling of importance along with recognition of motto, vision or slogan to the followers by a leader is called as Charisma.
- Researchers are now working on identification of behavioral attributes of a leader that causes the charisma. Earlier, it was considered to be inborn quality of a person.
- Charismatic Leadership:
While observing definite behavioral attributes of a leader, as explained by Charismatic Leadership Theory (Extended Attribution Theory), it is observed that followers make point-out heroic or extraordinary qualities of a leader.
- Five characteristics of a personality are identified in charismatic leaders.
- Having a vision.
- Ability to express that vision.
- Willingness of taking risks for achievement of that vision.
- Sensitivity of environmental parameters and needs of followers.
- Show extraordinary behavior.
- Highly quantitative researches provide the inspiring relation in charismatic leadership and best performance with satisfaction among the followers.
- There is a possibility of training of individuals for exhibition of charismatic qualities, according some of the experts.
- Charismatic leadership is necessary when ideological tasks are to be achieved from employees, not always for the achievement of high level of performance from the employees.
- Visionary Leadership
01- Ability to formulate and achieve the realistic, reliable and attractive vision for the betterment of an organization or a segment of it, for its growth and improvement, is called as visionary leadership. A few characteristics of visionary leadership are as follows:
02- When the vision is properly selected to implement, then, it energizes the employees and operative individuals to use their talent, expertise, skills and resources for the accomplishment of that vision.
03- Vision is always different from other directional forms of an organization, because vision produces a compelling magnetic image towards emotions, energy and enthusiasm of employees and individuals for a commitment of accomplishing that.
04- The properties of a vision are demonstrated as it produces inspirational possibilities that enter a valuable feeling along with superior image and fluency. The skills of visionary leaders are:
- Ability to explain the vision.
- Ability of expressing a vision through gestures, postures and behavior.
- Ability for application of vision towards various leadership situations.
There are some other contemporary problems to leaders that are the creation of culture regarding credibility and trust.
01- Degree of distinguishing honesty, competency and ability of inspiration of employees following a leader is called Credibility.
02- Belief of ability, reliability and character of the leader is called as a Trust.
03- Five dimensions for making up trust concept are identified by expert researchers, which are:
- Openness: sharing of information and ideas openly.
- Loyalty: protection of individuals emotionally & physically.
- Consistency: predictability, judgment to handle situations and reliability.
- Competence: knowledge and technical skills.
- Integrity: truthful and honest.
04- Trust is very important today, because most of the organizations have eliminated self-managed teamwork along with many of other conventional mechanisms making trust of extreme importance.
05- Building trust by leaders:
- Fairness (justice)
- Speaking of feeling
- Speaking the truth
- Fluffiness of promises
- Maintaining confidence.
- Demonstration of competence.
01- With the growth of teamwork, the importance of team leaders is also increasing.
02- Being an efficient team leader is a great challenge for the most of the managers.
03- Efficient team leaders possess the knowledge of time for making involvement and leaving alone the team during work.
04- Team leaders have two priorities:
- Management of external boundaries of the team.
- Facilitation of team process.
05- There are four specific roles of leadership that can break down those priorities:
- Connection with external environment.
- Conflict management.
Gender and Leadership
Gender and leadership is still an existing problem. There still have controversy regarding the gender issue within the organization. The differences existing in female leaders and male leaders and the impact they have to the organizations is the main issue.
01- Male and female leaders do have different leadership styles in accordance with research experts.
- Male leaders do possess the autocratic style (directive style); while as female do possess the democratic style (participative style) of leadership.
- Female leaders encourage participation in power, information and boost the self-worth of followers.
- Male leaders do use their command-and-control style being directive in leadership.
- Male leaders rely on position based authority usage of their influence.
- Their way of leadership is transactional mostly, rewarding and punishing good or bad work.
02- Under normal situations, it found that generally female leaders are more progressive than that of male leaders. Instead of control and command, they believe in inspiration and influence. They are more supportive and motivate towards the followers than that of male leaders.
03- While destiny is not in the hands of gender. The leadership style is totally dependent upon situation to be faced. It provides behavioral tendency of leadership styles.