The role of the Human resources consultant is to design and deliver HR services and to deploy it commercially and technically. He usually supervises a team of consultants and develops the portfolio of services and clients. Human Resources Consultant or Human Resource Consultant also known as Director of consulting and Associate Director, etc
Why Human Resources Consultant is Important for Business
Design of the offer
- Perform economic and legal monitoring in the supported service area.
- Conceive the offer and improve it regularly.
- Define the objectives and means associated with his activity, validated by his superior.
Creation and management of project teams
- Recruit the salaried or self-employed teams needed to carry out the project.
- Operationally supervise and manage teams.
- Define the objectives and tasks of each.
- Monitor and evaluate results.
Communication and marketing of the offer from outside
- To develop the client portfolio through the commercial prospection and the exploitation of the address book.
- Respond to tenders.
- Write and send to the client a proposal that summarizes his / her understanding of the service.
- Negotiate with the client, especially on the tariff plan.
Participation in the Performance of the Service
- Coordinate projects and validate the correspondence between the service and the client’s expectations.
- Communicate with the client about the progress of the assignment.
- To be operationally involved in certain services, in particular the Governing Board.
The director of the HR consultancy department is often associated with the external communication actions of his firm. It can even directly drive those that emerge from its activity. The organization of breakfasts for the presentation of its services to decision-makers or the media and participation in trade fairs or symposiums are often part of its activities.
Variability of Activities
The duties of the Director of the HR Consulting Department depend on the size of the firm and the organization of its employer.
- In small firms
The head of the HR consultancy department is also the head of the firm. In fact, its missions are very diverse. Its business activities are strong but it assumes more generally missions of management of profit centers which also include administrative tasks.
- In mid-sized firms
The director of the HR consulting department (often a partner of the firm’s executive) manages one of the firm’s activities. He has a small number of counterparts, who are like him director of another offer or occupy a functional direction. Its missions are global and are also related to the management of profit centers; however, the general strategy is the responsibility of the CEO of the company, as well as the administrative part.
- In large firms
The organization of work is more fragmented and the director of the HR consultancy department is actually responsible for one of the firm’s offers. Other major functional or operational departments include: sales department, IT department, marketing department, but also quality management. Its missions focus on the production of consultancy missions; they naturally include management, and it is rare that the HR director of the HR department is not interested in the business side.
Required Skills for Human Resources Consultant
- Technical Skills
The head of HR consultancy department has a good economic culture, an excellent knowledge of his field of delivery and a good address book, in order to develop his commercial activity. Like speaking to a group – conducting training sessions, conducting meetings, intervening in front of a large audience, conducting conferences – mastering the techniques of oral communication and practical English. Finally, he is competent in accounting, management control, finance, in order to analyze the results of his activity.
- Personal Qualities
The head of HR consulting department has a relational ease, conviction and quality of listening to understand the expectations of its customers, the public or its employees and to convince internally and externally the quality of its services to market them to customers. Its conceptual and analytical qualities enable it to design and structure a range of services. Organized and resistant to stress, its legitimacy and authority allow it to coordinate several projects at once and to supervise a team of consultants often with strong intellectual demands. Versatile, he is a skilled negotiator who demonstrates good business skills.