Body Language in Business:- Improving our non-verbal communication can help us achieve more effective communication and a better personal image. How we explain in our previous article, Communicate beyond what is said, nonverbal communication is the body language that we express through our gestures, postures, looks and expressions, which always accompany the verbal message.
Non-verbal communication is so important that it constitutes 65% of communication between two people. In addition, non-verbal communication is directly related to our personal image, which is not limited only to clothing or physical appearance, it also includes our language, behavior and way of expressing ourselves. Understanding non-verbal communication becomes an essential issue in order to communicate properly and correctly convey what we want to express.
How can we Improve Body Language
In order to emphasize our message to be received and interpreted as we wish, we can apply the following recommendations for improving our body language:
The look: making eye contact with the person who speaks to us, not only demonstrates security, but also mastery of ourselves and the subject being discussed.
To change the tone of voice according to what is said: to use a monotonous tone of voice in a presentation, can make lose the true sense of our words and the attention of our interlocutors.
The use of hands: it is important to show our hands to our interlocutor, as this shows sincerity. Avoid crossing your arms, this shows you are closed to communication and find yourself insecure.
Gestures and postures: our facial and body gestures inform others about our mood and of course must be consistent with our message.
Taking care of body image, being well dressed, neat, clean, can make the big difference, but also, in the labor aspect, it is necessary for the person to observe that his image represents the image of the company. It is important to remember that our non-verbal communication is many times more honest than what our words say. We must work on this important aspect in order to adequately convey the message we want to communicate.
Beyond the Communication
Non-verbal communication refers to a type of language through which communication is achieved through gestures, postures, looks, signs, facial expressions, used by the interlocutors as an expression of their states of mind.
Non-verbal communication is as relevant as written or oral communication. Several studies have shown that in a communication between two people the so-called verbal component constitutes only 35%, while the remaining 65% is composed of gestures and movements, so we can understand that through non-verbal communication a greater amount is transmitted of information.
Non-verbal communication is used to emphasize verbal language, to express emotions, to substitute words, to guide the interpretation that can be given to our words, but we must take into account that sometimes it can even interfere with or divert the intention of our original message.
Factors Associated with Non-verbal Communication
It is possible to observe different factors associated to this type of communication and that could be distinguished by means of studies and investigations on the subject. Thus we have that is contained by factors associated with verbal language, namely: tone, rhythm, volume, silence and voice timbre and on the other hand we have factors associated with behavior, these are facial expression, gaze, posture, gestures, Proximity and personal space.
Both types of factors establish what the intention of the message is to be sent and can support our message.
How does Non-verbal Communication Influence
All the factors described above contain the concept of the personal image, understood as something that is not limited to the dress or physical appearance of a person but to the factors of language and behavior.
Let’s look at some examples of how nonverbal communication influences. You would never take a financial advice from a poorly dressed or disarranged person. In a job interview, the interviewee who does not look at his interlocutor, feels hunched, crosses his arms, and sends a message of insecurity that speaks much clearer than the words themselves.
Hello everyone! This is Richard Daniels, a full-time passionate researcher & blogger. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Economics. He loves to write about economics, e-commerce, and business-related topics for students to assist them in their studies. That's the sole purpose of Business Study Notes.
Love my efforts? Don't forget to share this blog.