Product packaging has earned a great importance today. Probably, It is said that first impression is the last impression. If your product did not attract the customers first time, then you never make your product a brand in the market. The process of enclosing and distributing the product in the market, Storing the product in the warehouses and selling the products in the retail store and shopping malls and protecting it for the use of end consumers is called product packaging. Product packaging is used to preserve and contain the products, Product packaging protects the product from damaging before it reaches to the buyer. Product packaging prepares the product for transporting, warehousing, selling, and using.
Importance of Product Packaging
Let’s just consider the importance of product packaging or a good for the consumer. The companies use Product Packaging to drive more customers as the packaged products are considered safe to use by the consumers. Each Product use some sort of packaging even it is just a tag with price on it. This article will let you know how the Product packaging is used in manufacturing, its purpose in marketing and some important types of packaging.
In order to physical protect product form damage and vandalism for delivering the product to the customer is the Product Packaging. The products manufactured are prone to damage and needs to be enclosed so that the manufactured products can be kept safe from frictions, vibration, shock, compression, weather conditions, temperature, moist and electrostatic discharge.
The Packaging enables the product to be stored, handled with ease, transported safely and beautifully displayed on the shelves for the purpose of sale.
Some important aspects while packaging a product is to consider the length, weight, size, shape and type of the product. Odd and Out of the box Packaging Designs might attract the customers more and are good from the advertising perspective but if the Packages are not sufficient for transporting and keeping the product fresh and shock free the products will end up losing its consumers.
Form and Function are two basic elements while designing a Product Packaging. The Packaging provides a barrier to germs, air, oxygen, water vapors, moist and dust particles. Keeping a product safe is very critical while designing a Product Package. Some products have extended shelf life; some are prone to expiration, some are prone to damage, some are prone to heat, and some are atmosphere sensitive; a product package must ensure all the factors are covered that will keep the end product safe.
The ultimate function of Packaging a Product is to keep the Contents fresh, clean, untouched and safe while transporting.
The Packaging is also done to include the product related instructions and use information. The Package includes
- Name of the Manufacture
- Brand Name
- Brand Logo
- Product Contents,
- Product Features
- Product Purpose
- Date of Expiry
- Usage Instructions
- Bar Code
- Sale Price
- Warranty (if any)
The Power of Good Product Packaging
Product Package designers must develop a Package that protects the Enclosed Product from accidents, tamper and the other elements. The Package of the product must be easy to handle, transport and attractive to the customers. In order to capitalize the marketing opportunities, grab market share, meet the completion the marketers enforces on the power of a good product Packaging. A product with good packaging can attract more potential customers; grab more buyers which will ultimately results in higher sales and larger market share for the manufacturer.
A good package defines and demonstrates all the product attributes like, color, quality, design, price and size of the product. Labels are used to encourage more sales. The Companies are now designing product Packages to reflect the Brand Identity to the Consumers.
Types of Product Packaging
Transport Product Packaging: This type is used in logistics during the Product Life Cycle. Its purpose is to deliver, transport, ship and store the Product.
Consumer Product Packaging: This type is used to keep the product fresh and safe for the household use of end consumer and the buyer.
Primary Product Packaging:
The Package that is with in direct contact with the product contents is the Primary Product Package. The Primary Product Packaging is the first element that keeps the contents enclosed.
- Shrink Wrap Packaging: Shrink Warp is used around the actual product to hold the products or packages together for ease is transport and delivery. The shrink wrap makes the product resistant against puncture, damage, friction, abrasion. The manufacturers prefers Shrink Wrap Packaging as it make the product Impact resistant and is made of plastic which is a cheaper option than wooden boxes and crates.
- Vacuum Product Packaging: This type of packaging is used for perishable goods or food items that require seal for freshness, hydration and taste. This Vacuum Product Packaging has many benefits and is the most preferable option for the sellers and manufacturers of fast moving consumer goods especially for the organizations operating in food industry. The Package keeps the food items safe from germs, dust, air, bacteria, mold, fungus and yeast.
- Preservation Packaging: The Packages designed to preserve the product for later use for example, Jars, Cans, aluminum containers, silver sheets, cartons, glass jars, plastic bottles, foam and other types of product packages that are used to protect the contents of the product and the food items. The Preservation product Packages ensures product safety, protection and freshness.
- Bubble Wrap Packaging: The most efficient and inexpensive way to cushion and to protect the goods form impact, friction and damage while shipping is bubble warp.
Secondary Product Packaging:
The Package used outside the Primary Packaging to avoid pilferage is secondary product packaging.
- Crates and Pallets: An integral part of packaging process is Crates and Pallets to keep the products safe during transport and delivery. This provides safeguard against water, dust, moisture and deformity.
- Shock Mount: The Safest Packaging option for extremely fragile products and finished goods. This type of product packages protects the contents of the product from shock and vibration. The Packages use shock absorption techniques and provides safe guard against humidity, dust and moist. This type of packaging is used mostly for electronic equipment and chemical containers.
Hello everyone! This is Richard Daniels, a full-time passionate researcher & blogger. He holds a Ph.D. degree in Economics. He loves to write about economics, e-commerce, and business-related topics for students to assist them in their studies. That's the sole purpose of Business Study Notes.
Love my efforts? Don't forget to share this blog.