Stress Management Process:- Stress is a biological or psychological reaction from a tension. The stress can be positive or negative depending on the importance of the tension. If the tension is too high, the stress can generate negative effects on the physical and mental health of the individual. It is therefore essential to manage stress well to be effective at work, with employees and customers.
Stress Management Process
It is important, as a first step, to understand the stress process. It consists of three steps and three questions:
- What’s happening? Fear, anxiety, anger, for example, is emotional reactions generated by stress.
- “Why does this happen? These emotional reactions come from causes that produce stress.
- “What to do? To avoid the causes of stress and thus reduce stress, several answers are possible.
- Become Aware of your Reactions to Stress
The most effective way to manage stress is to break the cycle of stress. First, clearly identify how you function and what your emotional responses are. For example, during a presentation to an audience, you have blanks of memory, you are uncomfortable, and you are distracted. These reactions generate emotions that derail your presentation. So, if you want to correct these reactions, it is important, at first, to become aware of your emotions.
- Identify and Analyze the Causes of Stress
The second step is to identify and analyze the causes of stress and understand why you are in an uncomfortable stress situation. The search for causes is done in stages. After identifying and analyzing a first cause, you try to avoid it to see the results. If this cause has no effect, you try to avoid a second cause and so on.
In the preparation of the presentation to be made in front of an unknown audience, you feel apprehension, the fear that the preparation is not sufficient, that the content is incomplete, that the people who will listen to the presentation will not be satisfied. Ask yourself why you have these thoughts. Once you have identified the cause or causes of your stress, you will look for different answers to reduce your stress.
Practices to Manage your Stress
Decrease your Reactions to Stress
- Become aware of your emotional reactions.
- Ask yourself how you operate. Look for ways to strengthen you and reward yourself.
Avoid the Causes of your Stress
- Look for the cause of the cause. Ask yourself, “Why?”
- Ask yourself, “Can I avoid the causes of this stress?” “Why not?”
- Look for people who could help you.
Improve your Stress Responses
- Analyze your behaviors. Are they good physically and mentally for you?
- Think about it and use alternative strategies.
- Consider several options, different people, other methods, other environments.
- Make sure the answer does not become a new cause of stress.
Tips to better Manage your Stress
- Keep periods of relaxation.
- Take a break and practice breathing exercises.
- Take height. Keep perspective.
- Dedramatize the negative emotions.
- Keep a balance between work and rest.
- Avoid excessive consumption of coffee and alcoholic beverages.
- Make sure you have a good diet.
- Sleep enough.
- Set realistic expectations.
- Space the important works.
- Concentrate on one task at a time.
- Learn to accept what you cannot change.
- Talk about your behaviors.
- Do what you like.