Learn how to set goals While Managing Different Projects:- Goal setting is an act that every manager is confronted with. Before turning to some practical advice, I will return to the usefulness of the objectives. Below is the 3 main dimensions of the objectives and reasons why and how to set goals.
Main Dimensions and How to Set Goals
- A dimension Management
Building goals is a strong management act. It allows the manager:
- To express his will to his team and strengthen his leadership,
- To guide the action in coherence with the strategic and operational axes of the company,
- To put his collaborators in motion by stimulating action.
- An Organization Dimension
This act facilitates:
- Coordination of the teams: by the distribution and the content of the objectives,
- The programming of means: by focusing actions according to a well-established schedule,
- Supervision and control of actions.
- A Psychological Dimension
Goal setting has a driving role for employees by promoting their personal commitment to action. They become more involved and provide the best of themselves. It also helps to empower them.
Learn How to Set Goals
There are common sense rules in this area. The objectives must be:
- Simple: this is a point I insist on, how many times I have seen not objectives but a “factory” with objectives. This is a real trap for the Manager: to want to control his actions too well, without forgetting anything, and can be reassured … lead to a gas plant which, far from achieving the main goal of action is ultimately wasting time and money for everyone.
- Easy to understand: if you want them to act as a leitmotif, there must be no ambiguity in the minds of employees.
- Easy to calculate and no challenge possible: for a seamless membership, do not … create flaws! Objectives must be dated, written, encrypted.
- Attainable: if the bar is too high, the employee will quickly exhaust and become discouraged.
- Under the control of the employee concerned: what is the purpose of an objective if, in the end, our action alone cannot reach it? There are of course goals set for a team but in this case, it is the same reasoning: the team must have full control over the goal.