The Human resource managers (HR Managers) collect, analyzes and summarizes qualitative and quantitative social information and data that will enable the company to guide its human resources policy. Today the need of HR managers or Human resource managers has become utmost important for every business organization and somehow we can’t survive without them.
Need of Human Resource Managers or HR Managers
Below are few things that must be in your mind before hiring managers for your business. It also shows the importance of Human resource managers for business organization.
Centralization of the company’s needs in terms of social data
- Collecting all the needs of operational departments and human resources.
- Define the appropriate means and methodology: qualitative or quantitative studies, documentary sources, competitive intelligence, in-house realizations or use of providers …
Implementation of means for obtaining information
- Manage relations with the services or providers in order to obtain qualitative or quantitative information: feedback of information to HR agents, purchase of databases, briefing at a research institute …
- Conduct group or face-to-face interviews in qualitative studies.
- Manipulate the available data in order to produce legible and relevant information.
- Ensure a watch on all the HR issues related to the major strategic projects of the company.
Monitoring the workforce of the company
- Centralize and analyze the statistical data related to the workforce of the company: turnover rate, age of employees, remuneration …
- Reporting to the directorates concerned.
Synthesis and recommendations
- To analyze and synthesize all the information gathered, and in particular to contribute to the drafting of the social report.
- Provide recommendations to guide strategic business decisions.
- Draw up a report and present the results of the studies to the directorates concerned.
- The HR manager can lead projects to upgrade the company’s HR information system. It is a direct user and perceives its advantages as disadvantages.
- It can also work on operational projects directly related to the subjects on which it works.
The variability of activities
- In an HR institute or consulting firm, the HR manager is often in direct contact with clients. It identifies their needs and delivers the corresponding statistical analyzes. Upstream, it intervenes almost systematically on the brief of the investigators who will gather the information. It must then interpret the results and present to its clients syntheses sometimes accompanied by strategic recommendations. It most often involves social assessments involving a heavy share of statistical processing.
- In an HR communication agency, the HR manager determines the most appropriate media communication strategy for companies, depending on the population to be reached. It analyzes the various media (mainly the press and the Internet) and draws up a summary file called a multimedia plan showing the selected media and the distribution schedule.
Moreover, an HR manager can be exclusively specialized to the company or its profile on qualitative or quantitative studies.
- In charge of qualitative studies: it is a question of collecting and analyzing rich and complex information expressed during face-to-face or group interviews. The main applications in human resources are the HR development projects in the company, the degree of attachment of employees to the company, the social climate …
- In charge of quantitative studies: the data exploited are exclusively encrypted and often take the form of databases. The main applications in human resources are the consolidation of social data, the global social panorama, the remuneration studies.
Required Skills for HR Managers
- Technical skills. The HR manager is in charge of the specific IT tools linked to the HR information systems of the company or has sufficient computer skills to quickly apprehend them. He is also fluent in common office tools (especially Excel and Access) and even some statistical tools for the most technical posts. He has a good human resources culture to understand the issues in a study and to be as relevant as possible in his strategic recommendations.
- Personal qualities. It has good qualities of analysis and synthesis: it is the core of the position and the main added value of the HR manager. It anticipates the needs in terms of studies by showing originality or boldness in the strategic recommendations. Pragmatic, reliable and rigorous, he likes figures; quantitative information often represents an important part of the work. Thus, all it analyzes and recommendations are based on concrete elements identified and verified, the slightest error can strongly influence the conclusions of his studies. His sense of the relationship promotes a privileged dialogue with all the company’s management.
It is a force of proposition and conviction and can defend its positions or persuade its interlocutors of the pertinence of its analyzes. Finally, the HR manager is autonomous; it is rare to meet studies conducted by several researchers at a time.
Most Wanted Profiles
The required diplomas
- Master 2 Social Management Control
- Master 2 Management Control and Information Systems
- Master 2 Human Resources Management (University, IAE)
Type of employers
- Especially large groups or large companies with a sufficiently sized HR entity (usually structures of more than five thousand people)
- Institutes of studies and surveys
- Public function
- HR Consulting
This function probably does not exist in SMEs.
- Director of HR Studies
- HR Development Manager
- Human resources manager
- Human Resources Director
- Financial direction
- Responsible for social relations
Working environment and interlocutors
- HR Director
- Operational Managers
- Social Relations Service
- Training and development HR department
- Quality of life at work service
- Directorate of Management Control (Finance)
- Management information systems
- Social Management Controller
- Head of compensation & benefits and HRIS
- Head of HR Studies
- Responsible for management control
Factors in the evolution of the profession
- Social Management Controller
- Compensation Analysis