The mobility manager manages the career management of all the company’s employees by comparing the skills developed by the individuals, their wishes for evolution and the needs expressed by the various departments. Mobility manager is also known as Career management manager, Manager of career planning, Responsible for internal mobility, and Career manager, etc.
Why Business Hires Mobility Manager
Definition of the company’s career management policy
- Participate, in liaison with the human resources department and the management committee of the company, in defining the principles governing the professional development of employees.
- Formalize the processes allowing an employee to express a request for evolution and to integrate new functions.
Analysis of current and future business needs
- Put in place the internal tools that will allow to identify and to centralize all wishes of evolution and needs.
- Follow company indicators in terms of social data: age pyramid, turnover rate …
- Anticipate changes in the company in the medium and long term by implementing plans for managing the workforce.
- Meet with operational staffs who have expressed a need either for the departure of a non-satisfactory employee (voluntary departure) or for a job creation or replacement.
Evaluation of employee performance and potential
- Aggregate the formalized results of annual interviews for all employees in order to assess their wishes for change, their degree of satisfaction with the company and the position they occupy, and the development of their skills.
- Dialogue internally with all managers and human resources managers who can provide visibility in terms of detection and evaluation of potential and performance.
- Meet and evaluate all internal candidates for an officially open position in order to compare their profiles with the specifications of the position to be filled.
Accompaniment of employees in taking up their new position
- Ensure the human and administrative integration of employees working internally.
- To monitor the performance of the employee in his / her new position, by exchanging with him and his manager at different dates following his arrival.
- The Mobility Manager can work on the development of new evaluation tools, whether internal or external. One can think mainly of the development of various psychological tests or external providers of the “assessment center” type which evaluate the candidate through a scenario.
- The person responsible for mobility can go far enough in monitoring the employee and his professional development by setting up extra-professional support elements. There are now specialized providers, for example, in the search for housing or schools during a geographical change. The mobility manager can therefore receive, evaluate and manage these providers.
- Internal communication (on aspects related to career management) can also be the direct responsibility of the person in charge of mobility, who is then responsible for putting online opportunities on-line and updating them on a regular basis.
- It should be noted that the mobility manager function is often coupled with other human resources functions. Hybrid functions that combine recruitment or training with career management are frequently found.
Depending on the economic situation of the company, the role of the mobility manager differs:
- In the growth phase, it has a very important interface and evaluation role. Above all, it drives the development of skills and places each employee in a position where he will perform better for the company.
- In a phase of slowdownor even economic degradation, the person in charge of mobility has the responsibilities of an employment office manager in charge of dismissing and reclassifying large numbers of employees. The internal communication dimension towards the employees is then paramount as well as the legal knowledge of the situations of dismissal, to avoid any approximation penalizing for the company.
- The detection and management of high-potential executives is thus a strategic issue for the company. The person in charge of mobility must then put in place an individualized follow-up of the employee in order to retain him / her in the company and to guarantee him a professional development corresponding to his ambitions and his potential.
- The same is true for senior executives. Pillars of an organization, their desire for mobility influences the functioning of the company. The position of head of mobility has a political and strategic dimension for these populations.
Required Skills for Mobility Managers
- Technical Skills
The mobility manager has a good knowledge of the organization and operation of the company: its various businesses and the interactions that exist between all these departments. It has the “technical varnish” corresponding to the sector in which it evolves, in the interest of credibility and the operational staff for whom it recruits. He is familiar with the various possibilities linked to compensation systems (profit-sharing, participation, special bonuses) and the legal aspects of his function, including the dismissal and reclassification of certain employees: social law, collective agreements, etc. Close to recruitment manager, with the difference that he recruits internally, the mobility manager is in charge of the various evaluation interview techniques.
A task carried out in part through the practice of application management tools (HRIS, database of candidates on the Internet, etc …). Finally, he is fluent in English, mainly as part of a group with an international dimension.
- Personal Qualities
The person in charge of mobility has good interpersonal and communication skills to effectively communicate with all the employees of the company and present the opportunities for internal developments from a favorable angle. He is a psychologist who understands the aspirations of employees and evaluates their performance in a new position. Diplomat, particularly in the context of the negative answers to internal candidates, he works all year with the potential candidates he meets and must therefore justify his decisions with tact and objectivity. His open-mindedness and intellectual curiosity make him interested in all the trades present in his company and be able to understand the ” The micro cultures of which it is composed.
Finally, the person in charge of mobility is a pragmatist who, in reality, anchors the aspirations of the employees with regard to the needs of the managers of the company. Thanks to its reactivity and its force of proposal, it favors the relevant internal developments benefiting both parties.