Project standards are set by the Project Management Office and probably by the project management officer. The portfolio of projects of the organization is also look after by this office. This helps the organization to access the use of resources across all projects handle the disputes that influence the project timelines. The linkage of communities across projects is also better examined at the place of Project Management Office. There are certain reasons for the efficiency of the knowledge transfer by using the communities as linkage point like
- Generally broader range of people evaluates the knowledge in communities by ensuring that the ideas are more effectively examined.
- Communities are not present inside the framework of the project rather they exist outside to the framework of project and trust is already developed.
- They can be used to resist the building of more formal structures and methods to obtain the needed information deliver to the project.
- Knowledge is delivered from experts to recipients in these communities. This contains explicit knowledge transfer as well as tacit knowledge transfer. The transfer mechanism is much more efficient in this case than in other usage. Documents are transferred generally from one project to other with least expert knowledge available for addition of value.
- Knowledge is shared broadly through its transfer by the community which enables the organizations to become strengthen for future projects.
- It is discussed earlier that the periodic review of major projects is the responsibility of Project Management Office and top management. At the completion of each life cycle phase, this should be achieved at least.
Project Management Officer (PMO)
The centralization and coordination of management of project is made by the Project Management Officer. He further looks after the management of project as well as product that comes under his domain. The Project Management Officer may not be involved directly into the project at any moment. He mainly concentrates on the coordinate planning and prioritization of all deliverables and resources of the projects as well as subprojects. He is further responsible for connecting the top management and client/parent organization and informed them about project life cycle or all projects running. He performed the activities of selection, management and redeployment of shared projects to the extent he is authorized.
Project Manager Responsibilities List
Project Management Officer is usually responsible for the following points
- Arranging monitoring platform for Project Manager
- Pointing out the project management methodology and effective practices for certain project
- Specification and refinement of policies, templates, procedures and shred documents for project which is generally regarded as the function of clearing house.
- Configuration management for all working projects
- For building & maintaining repository and risk management for projects.
- Building of Project Management Office for functions & keeping instruments for project management. This generally contains the development & installation of Enterprise Wide Project Management
- Coordination, monitoring & management of communications across the projects, quality standards, project timelines and budgets.
- The authority of closing down the project at any time may be available to Project Management Officer in case he finds that the project is no more feasible.
Difference between Project Manager & Project Management Officer
Following are the main differentiating points between Project Manager and Project Management Officer.
- Both of them have different goals which are based on different needs together with strategic requirements of the organization.
- Specific project objectives are delivered by the Project Manager within the project constraints. On the other hand the Project Management Officer has wide perspective in which has the responsibility for the organizational structure.
- Project manager concentrate on objectives of project whereas Project Management Officer Concentrates on significant programs, scope & changes needed and authenticated. All potential opportunities are considered by the Project Management Officer for accomplishment of the goals of the business.
- There are limited resources assigned to the Project Manager for particular project for accomplishment of its objectives. On the other hand, shared organizational resources are supposed to be optimally utilized by the Project Management Officer across all projects overall.
- The scope, schedule, quality and cost of product is managed by the Project Manager while overall risks, interdependencies, opportunities and links among different projects are managed by the Project Management Officer
- Report on the progress of the project is provided by the Project manager to the top management which includes specific information about the project. Consolidated reporting is provided by the Project Management Officer which focuses the organizational view of the project or all continuing projects.